Wednesday 7 November 2012

Highland Colour and Scottish Buses

Autumn in the highlands is magnificent, copper, red, orange tones with carpets of golden leaves.

Every so often when we are out driving I call out to Chris to 'stop'. It seems to be around every corner there's another fabulous photo waiting to be taken.

I've been doing this so often lately that I've a sneaking suspicion that Chris is beginning to ignore me.

My suspicions were confirmed recently when we were on a roundabout in Oban. Seeing a bus speeding towards us I shouted out 'stop'.

Chris didn't and neither did the bus.

For a moment there I thought well this is it, the gruesome finish to a fabulous
holiday.

Fortunately for me, since I was closest to the bus, they both came to a stop within inches of each other.
I looked up to see a very angry bus driver cursing us.
I looked across to see a very white faced Chris.

Lesson No 1 - bus drivers don't give way to drivers on roundabouts over here in Scotland.

Bus drivers on the highway also have their own set of rules. If you are not driving as fast as them they will toot or flash you to get you to pull over, even if you are driving at the correct speed.

Scottish Bus drivers appear to have either an unusual sense of humour or no sense of humour altogether.

On catching a bus while in Edinburgh I asked the driver for change. "Nay, I don't give change". Thinking he was have a joke with me, I asked again - he pointed to the sign NO CHANGE GIVEN

Lesson No 2. - Always ensure you have the correct money when catching buses in Scotland.

Compassion, yes they have plenty of that. One night, Chris was returning home from a rugby match south of Edinburgh. The bus driver instead of waking him up to get off, let him sleep all the way to Glasgow. How considerate is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment